Management & Leadership Development Program: Module 1
The Managers Toolkit
Please see below an outline for our Management and Leadership Development Program (Module 1) course, which is available as an in-house training course for your staff. The course will be tailored to your company needs.
If you are a manager it’s likely that you got that position because you were an excellent individual contributor. As an individual contributor you developed useful skills. You did good work and you got it done on time. Now as a manager you have been asked to play a larger role. Some of the qualities and know-how that accounted for your earlier success will help you very little in that new role. The technical expertise and workplace skills you gained earlier remain important but no longer define your role.
Your job as manager and leader is to get results through the creativity, expertise and energy of others. Your success as manager and leader will be determined by other capabilities; your ability to hire and retain good people; to motivate and develop the potential of each member of your team; to create winning strategies and control budgets, to understand financial statements and so on.
This course covers the necessary tools you need to have in your toolkit as a manager. As Confucius the Chinese philosopher said “The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools”
The course in broken down into two modules. This course covers the practical tools and knowledge required by a manager while the second module covers the particular skills required to be an effective leader.
To help you learn that:
- Competitiveness today is based around the ability of employees to create, to apply their skills and accumulated knowledge, to work effectively together, and to treat customers well
- Human resourcefulness is an important differentiator and a source of long term competitive advantage
- To learn management and leadership skills that will help you in a 21st Century organization
- By understanding and using a range of effective tools in your skills toolbox you can help further both the organization’s success as well as your own
Following completion of the course, you will know how to:
- Improve your essential management and leadership skills
- Manage an organization in times of constant change
- Deal with teams and individuals so as to maximize the efficiency and productivity of the organization
- Use a toolbox of skills that will help you perform your own role effectively
- How to manage the relationships with all the stakeholders of your organization
Who should attend:
- Any manager that has responsibility for managing the performance of employees
- First time and middle managers who want to expand their skills and understanding of management and leadership.
- Non business graduates who want a better understanding of matter relating to the management and leadership of organizations
Method and Approach:
This programme will involve the use of slides, handout material, work manual with all instructor notes and slides, examples of best practice and appropriate video/DVD material. The use of flip-charts, syndicate workshops and reporting back sessions will encourage a fully participative and enjoyable event. Delegates will be encouraged to participate actively in relating previous work experiences.
Day One – Setting the scene and key skills
- Developing confidence and motivation
- Time management
- Stress management
- Project Management
- Quality Management
- Assessment exercise
Day Two – Communication
- Building relationships
- Ego states
- Body language
- Communication as a two way process
- What makes an effective listener
- Effective listening techniques
- Assessment exercise
Day Three – Negotiation and Working with Conflict
- What is negotiation about?
- Types of power
- Tactics in negotiation
- Competitive negotiation
- Collaborative negotiation
- Communicating in difficult circumstances
- Conflict management
Day Four – Financial Tools
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Net Present Value and Internal Rate of Return
- Breakeven Analysis and Operating Leverage
Day Five – Presentation Skills
- Delivering your presentation
- One way and two way presentations
- Checklist for presentations
- Practical exercise
To discuss your training requirements and how this course can work for you, please contact us.